Cancer Genetic Counseling and Testing
Brookwood Baptist Health offers genetic counseling and testing services to help identify patients who are at risk to develop certain types of hereditary cancer such as breast, ovarian and colon cancer. Our Genetic Counselor works hand-in-hand with patients to evaluate family history, develop a personalized cancer risk assessment and, when appropriate, provide genetic testing. Our team provides ongoing education and support to encourage early detection and help patients make informed decisions about their health.
- Cancer risk assessment based on personal risk factors and family history
- Genetic counseling and testing
- Personalized education and cancer prevention planning
- Navigation support and referrals to provide seamless access to physician specialists and other hospital resources
You should consider genetic testing if any of the following risk factors apply to you or a close family member:
- Breast cancer before age 50
- Ovarian cancer at any age
- Colon cancer before age 50
- Endometrial cancer before age 50
- Two primary cancers in an individual
- Both breast and ovarian cancers
- Male breast cancer at any age
- Two or more breast cancers in a family, one under age 50
- Women of Ashkenazi Jewish descent with breast or ovarian cancer at any age
To make an appointment or speak with our genetic counselor, call (205) 877-5298.
Genetic counseling is offered at Brookwood Baptist Medical Center only.